Sunday, August 18, 2024

Writing Books For Kids

When I was a 2nd grade teacher, I was always looking for chapter books that I could read to my class. I had a couple of favorites that I used, but I was constantly looking for more. I wanted books featuring characters that my students could relate to – characters they could admire, and others they could see were not admirable. 

 

One spring day, I found myself with some rare extra time. I went to the school library to see if I could find suitable books for my students. Books I might read to the class, and books that kids would want to and be able to read on their own. I wandered around the library looking at possible books and it occurred to me that I should write one myself.

 

I opened a Word document and I started with the title that said what I was looking for: Jonathan Stephens Is Just A Kid. I wrote the book in the first person – I wanted Jon to speak directly to his peers. This style can be difficult because it limits what the author can do, and it limits what the character sees and hears. I thought this was an important angle to take – a kid speaking to other kids from his own point of view, not an adult imposing his or her will on them.

 

I wanted a main character that kids could understand. One that was relatable to students – not an all-star kid, just a regular kid who others of similar age could see as believable. I did my best to not preach but to present the ideas in the story as naturally as possible. 

 

I did my best to show how Jon was, as he says in the opening and in several places throughout: just a kid. Implied: just like you are. Jon makes mistakes, learns lessons, makes other mistakes, and he does things that are entirely relatable to other kids (at least that was the intent.) Jon is not a perfect kid. I wanted him to be likable, believable, but as imperfect as every other kid is. Jon aspires to do well, he wants to please his parents and teachers, but he wants to be his own person, whatever that is and means (many kids want that but don’t exactly know what it is). Jon wants not just to have good friends, but to be a good son, friend, and brother. 

 

It took me over a year to complete this book, and when it was finished, I self-published it on Amazon. Then I took it to our school librarian, and she was happy to add it to the selection of chapter books. 

 

My mother read the book and she recalled some of the events in the book as being based on real events that happened when I was a kid. Writing what you know tends to be more believable, and although I am decades beyond childhood, I remember who and what I was back then at or near Jon’s age. I remember what I felt, how I behaved, and some of how I viewed the world. 

 

“I don’t remember that one happening,” she said of one such event.

 

“It didn’t happen. I made it up – this is a book of fiction.”

 

That’s the beauty of writing your own books – the author can create his or her own world and give it whatever characteristics, problems, solutions, etc. that are needed. I may be biased because I wrote it, but this is the kind of book I would be happy and comfortable reading to students of similar age. I would be happy for students to read and enjoy this kind of story, because they can relate to it.

 

This book is the first in a series – I managed to write two additional books featuring Jon and his family (the 2nd book took me two years to complete, and the 3rd just two weeks). The Jonathan Stephens books are written for students in grades 1 through 6, as a read aloud (by the teacher or other adult in the classroom), and grades 2-6 for individual reading, depending on the student’s reading ability. 

 

All three books are available in paperback and e-book on Amazon. 



-----

Larry Manch is an author, teacher, husband, father, guitar player, freelance writer, and former kid. He has written 24 books; available in paperback and e-book on Amazon.com.

Follow @LTM_Author

No comments:

Post a Comment