Friday, June 29, 2018

A Game's 'Werth' of Baseball Memories

Jayson Werth retired this week from Major League Baseball. I have not met him, however, his name sparks a series of baseball memories that never fail to make me smile.

In August 2012, my then 12-year-old son Brendan and I went to Houston to catch an Astros game at Minute Maid Park. We arrived during batting practice, and watched in awe as Michael Morse hit a series of moon shots off the metal signs above the train tracks in left field. With few people in the stadium at that time, we could hear the loud echo as the balls clanged off of the signs.


Just before game time, National's outfielder Roger Bernadina spotted Brendan sitting in his seat, and tossed him a baseball. Brendan's look of surprise and delight at that act of kindness from a Major Leaguer made me laugh out loud. Roger's thoughtful act, much like Yankee star Aaron Judge in June 2018, playing catch with a fan in the stands in Philadelphia, create memories for fans that will long be remembered.

During the game, I took a photo of Werth standing with teammates Morse, Bryce Harper (his rookie season), and Adam LaRoche on the field near the Washington dugout. As I took the picture, I realized that Werth's presence represented a connection to my first big league game. Fifty years and one month before I took this photo, I attended my first Major League game. It was in Forbes Field, Pittsburgh, and Werth's grandfather, Dick Schofield, played in the game that day. 

Galarrago on the mound
and the video board.
When I took that photo, with Brendan sitting on my left, two seats to my right, sat the father of that night's Astros starting pitcher, Armando Galarraga. Galarraga had once lost a perfect game on an umpire's bad call, and Brendan was pleased to see him pitch in person. We had seen Galarraga's father hours before our game, checking in at the same hotel where we stayed. Eleven days later, after making his final Major League appearance, Galarraga was released.

In the bottom of the 9th inning, we saw then Astros outfielder Brandon Barnes get his first big league hit. It was Brendan who made me smile by bringing that fact to my attention. He notices such things.

A few minutes after the game was over, Brendan and I walked out to the left field foul pole to look around. As we stood there, we heard a noise, and I captured on camera, the look of amazement as Brendan looked up and over my shoulder at the interesting spectacle of the retractable roof beginning to open, the first time Brendan had ever seen such a wonder. The look on his face is priceless and memorable for me.

Jayson Werth was a solid performer for 15 seasons for the Blue Jays, Dodgers, Phillies (with a 2008 World Series ring), and the Nationals. It was him and the connection to my first big league game that provided a sort of framework for the memorable events that night. 

Every time I see Werth's name and picture, all of those memories spring immediately to mind. Such things are part of the magic of baseball - memories for fans that go beyond the action on the field.

Larry Manchis an author, teacher, guitar player, freelance writer, and columnist. His books include: 'Twisted Logic: 50 Edgy Flash Fiction Stories''The Toughest Hundred Dollars & Other Rock & Roll Stories','A Sports Junkie''The Avery Appointment''Between the Fuzzy Parts'. His books are available in paperback and e-book.
He writes about sports for Season Tickets, food and travel on Miles & Meals, and music/guitars on The Backbeat.

No comments:

Post a Comment